Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Lenten Journey 2014: The Wednesday of the second week of Lent

"Go to dark Gethsemane,
Ye who feel the tempter's pow'r;
Your Redeemer's conflict see;
Watch with Him one bitter hour;
Turn not from His griefs away;
Learn of Jesus Christ to pray." (Lutheran Service Book #436)

 

 This was the first hymn we sang tonight at our Lenten midweek service. This has now become one of my favorite hymns for Lent. I've recently been introduced to the Church's plethora of hymns for this most solemn season, and almost all of them bring me to the verge of tears. I faced the temptation today of giving up the time I spent with the Lord in prayer and reading of the word to indulge myself in abundance with food. Christ swooped in and saved the day, thanks be to God. But singing this hymn tonight helped me to realize that when I face similar temptations to remember that Christ Himself was also tempted, and He can identify with my struggles. What's a little hunger, anyway? Dear reader, Christ comes for sinners, and what's even better is that He understands you. I call that good news.

In awe,
Manny Tovar

No comments:

Post a Comment