Search This Blog

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Lenten Journey 2014: The Thursday before Holy Week

Good evening, Internet. Today has been a wonderful day. Classes went well, without a hitch. Tomorrow is Friday, which gives me oodles of joy just thinking about it. I'm starting to understand that things are not as difficult as we make them seem. This seems especially prevalent in the Christian world today in regards to the will of God. The will of God is something every Christian would like to know for their life, myself included. But knowing what God's will for our life is is not as hard as people make it seem. For example, do you want to know who you should marry? Here's what God says about it: "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?" (2 Corinthians 6:14). Are you torn between two gorgeous females (or males)? Are they both Christians? If so, then it's simple: choose the one you like the most! It really IS that simple! Are you wondering how to be a better spouse? "Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the Church..." (Ephesians 5:22, 25). I don't really understand why human beings have to go around making things more difficult than they have to be. But I'm guilty of this too, so I guess I need to analyze myself, too. One of the things that drew me to confessional Lutheranism is the doctrine of vocation. A summarized explanation of this doctrine is given by Dr. Gene Edward Veith is this: "The purpose of one's vocation, whatever it might be, is serving others. It has to do with fulfilling Christ's injunction to love one's neighbor." Before this turns into a mini-sermon, I'm going to end it now. I hope you have a good day/evening/night, dear reader, and I shall see you tomorrow.

To end, I leave you with a Lenten prayer by Dietrich Bonhoeffer: "God of the day and of the night, in me there is darkness, but with You there is light. I am alone, but You will not leave me. I am weak, but You will come to my help. I am restless, but You are my peace. I am in haste, but You are the God of infinite patience. I am confused and lost, but You are eternal wisdom and You direct my path; now and for ever. Amen."

God bless,
Manny Tovar


(Here is a link to a great article by Dr. Veith on the doctrine of vocation: The Doctrine of Vocation: How God Hides Himself in Human Work)

No comments:

Post a Comment