Search This Blog

Monday, June 9, 2014

A Shy God?

Hello, beloved. I ask your forgiveness for a lack of activity on this blog. I just needed to take a bit of time off to refocus and get my bearings again. But I'm back, and this time for good. Yesterday, for those of you unaware, was the day of Pentecost, when the Christian Church commemorates the descent of the Holy Spirit upon the apostles and those gathered in the upper room. The Church now turns her focus to the Holy Spirit, who is the shy member of the Holy Trinity. We look at the ministry of the Holy Spirit; more specifically the work of the Spirit in bringing people to penitent faith in Christ. As Dr. Luther so brilliantly explains in the explanation to the Third Article of the Apostles' Creed: "I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ, my Lord, or come to Him; but the Holy Spirit has called me by the Gospel, enlightened me with His gifts, sanctified and kept me in the true faith; even as He calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies the whole Christian Church on earth, and keeps it with Jesus Christ in the one true faith; in which Christian Church He forgives daily and richly all sins to me and all believers, and at the last day will raise up me and all the dead, and will give to me and to all believers in Christ everlasting life. This is most certainly true" (Small Catechism). And next Sunday is Holy Trinity Sunday, where we take time to ponder on the fact that the Christian God has revealed Himself as one God in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

God bless,
Manny Tovar



No comments:

Post a Comment